Friday, October 26, 2012

Our continued look at the Mariners position by position. Today: 
First Base

Justin Smoak:
By now we all know about how Smoak changed his swing and had a very good September. He needed to shorten his swing and he did just that. One way he did it was by using a shorter leg kick. What I mean by that is he lifted and put his front foot on the ground faster than before. Even to the point of not taking a stride at all. The other way he shortened his swing is by now holding onto the bat with both hands on his follow through. Before, he would let go of the bat with one hand on the follow through.

I was one of the many who thought Smoak was never going to make it and I had seen enough. Even from his days in the minor leagues there were whispers of a hole in his swing that may never be fixed. Let’s hope he has finally fixed that hole in his swing. I have to admit that I am cautiously dinking the Kool-Aid on Smoak. I would still trade him if I think it would help the team but I am also ready to give him another chance next spring to prove he has finally turned the corner with his hitting.


Jesus Montero:

I would like to start off by saying I thought Montero had a pretty good first year all things considered. Did he do as much as I thought he was going to do? No. But if you take a step back and consider he was a 22 year old rookie trying to find his way in the big leagues at the same time trying to learn the catching position. He did ok. This is a difficult position in of itself.
But in my opinion, his catching days should be over now. With Zunino set to arrive sometimes next year, it is a waste of Montero’s time and his development using him behind the plate. The Mariners are going to sign another catcher this offseason anyway. It’s time to get a first baseman’s glove on him now and have him come to spring training ready to compete with Smoak at first base. The only way I would use him at catcher again would be in emergency situations or on the occasions there are double moves late in games.
 
As a hitter this year Montero struggled mightily against breaking pitches away especially sliders. He must improve his pitch recognition if he is to become the hitter we all hope he will become.
In my opinion I think Montero needs to alter his swing like Smoak did. But with one big difference. Instead of holding onto the bat with two hands on the follow through I think Montero needs to let go with one hand on his follow through. I always thought Montero had a funky swing that isn’t really a power stroke. He is kind of a flicker with his bat as he makes contact and follows through. He had way too many weak ground balls in the infield and lazy fly balls. I realize a lot of that was due to rolling over on outside sliders but I think too he needs to generate more back spin on the ball. Back spin makes the ball go farther.  One way to get back spin is by letting go of the bat with one hand which keeps you down through the ball more. Thus generating more back spin on the ball. I have seen Montero use this technique on inside pitches before; even hitting a home run which got me thinking he should use this stroke all the time. As far as I can see, Montero does not have a long swing. He doesn’t need to shorten it; he just needs to refine it.

One last thing on Montero. I think he needs to have much more focus at the plate. Too many times this year I saw him in the on deck circle or walking up to the plate gesturing or looking towards the opponents’ dugout. And it wasn’t with an “I am going to crush this pitcher” look. It was more of a “How are you guys doing” look. He needs more focus and that starts with when he is on deck. And especially when he is in the batter’s Box.   

So, in short I think the Mariners should take a page out of Pete Carroll’s book and have both Smoak and Montero compete for the first base job next spring.  If they both do well at first then you have a good first base/DH combo. Not to mention a potential trade opportunity. If one has a bad spring you can send him down to AAA. So either way you are covered. Not to mention Ackley’s availability late in games in case of pinch hitting or defensive replacements.  
          


1 comment:

  1. Well written sir. For us casual fans your explanation of short/long swings is really enlightening and gives a deeper understanding of the game.

    ReplyDelete