Monday, November 5, 2012

Our continued look at the Mariners position by position. Today: Second Base


Second Base:

Before I continue my off season analysis of the Mariners I would like to touch on a few things. We all know this is a very important offseason for Jack Z. not only because it’s about time the Mariners put a good team on the field but it’s also the last year of Z’s contract. Therefore, nobody on this team is off limits when it comes to possible trades. The only exception I see is Felix Hernandez. I don’t see ownership signing off on a trade of its franchise player.

Ok, on to second base. I was surprised to see that Dustin Ackley was in the running for the Gold Glove Award. I don’t know if this is a reflection of the lack of good defensive second baseman in the American League or Ackley’s ability to play second base. I know there are many sabermetric calculations that measure a player’s ability and Ackley registered high on some of these calculations. But when I apply the eye test I see a very mechanical and not too athletic second baseman. But I also see a guy who made most of the routine plays, although very few spectacular plays and turned the double play well. That’s pretty good for a guy who has only been playing second base for a couple years.

Now when I compare him to how Kyle Seager plays second base I see two different players. Seager is much more fluid, natural, looks more comfortable and turns the double play better. Yes I know Seager has played second base more in his life than Ackley but for this post I am merely comparing the two.
If I could include Ackley in a package to get a third baseman or an outfield power bat I would. I would prefer Seager playing second and another legitimate player at third.

But as it stands now I think Ackley will be our second baseman and Seager our third baseman next year. We do however have a multitude of middle infielders on their way so that is one more reason to not rule out a trade. One last thing on Ackley. I would not move him to the outfield. He does not hit for enough power. His value is at second base and Jack Z. was smart enough to know this from the beginning. Besides we have had enough outfielders with no power over the years, most notably a certain right fielder we had for the last 12 years.       


Article By:

Cecil
Cecil's Corner

No comments:

Post a Comment